2017.... Blocks 1 and 2 for Wendy

I know I have been rather slack when it comes to this blog schtick....here goes

This idea came about after a funny and somewhat cheeky conversation with Wendy. 
Wendy had posted an Instagram picture of a quilt she had made for friend. I have to say its a pretty freaking amazing quilt. So of course I commented saying "So we are friends now right? When will I get my quilt?" As I said cheeky. Wendy messaged me and we got to chatting. 

I have posted the guidelines that we came up with should you feel like buddy-ing up with someone to do your own swap.
Here are the basics again

I mentioned doing a swap. We needed rules so we hatched a plan....
The same block - Economy Block
4 times a year - once per quarter
The centre needed to be a feature fabric and that fabric HAS to be from the year the block is made. the next square a solid fabric and then finally the outer square as a low volume.

Oh! Did I mention we are going to do this for 10 years?? Yep we are kind of crazy lol

Because we came up with this idea halfway through the year we decided to do two for each quarter to give up the four blocks we planned for each year.

The one thing I do recommend is that the two squares that you cut for the outer triangle, cut them a bit bigger. Even if you only take them up to 5" squares. It will give you a little wiggle room to trim it to the 8.5" (unfinished) size.


Here are the first two blocks that I made for Wendy.
BLOCK ONE



FEATURE FABRIC
Manufacturer: Free Spirit
Designer: Tokyo Milk
Range: Neptune and the Mermaid - Lost Atlantis [Navy]

SOLID FABRIC
Manufacturer: Indie Fabric Studio
Range: Lanna Woven [Orange Juice]

LOW VOLUME FABRIC
Manufacturer: Robert Kaufman
Designer: Carolyn Friedlander
Range: Doe - Sizable Squares [Sky]

I absolutely fell in love with the Tokyo Milk range of fabrics, so it was a must that I do a block using it. They kind of remind me of elaborate tattoos that you sometimes see on people. When it came to choosing a solid I couldn't go past the gorgeous shot cottons that Indie Fabric Studio produce They are just gorgeous colours and have a really nice feel to the fabric. I had also discovered the architectural style of Carolyn Friedlander in the past 18 months and loved the way this Doe print worked with the main print.


BLOCK TWO



FEATURE FABRIC
Manufacturer: Westminster & Free Spirit
Designer: Amy Butler
Range: Soul Mate - It Takes Two [Aqua]

SOLID FABRIC
Manufacturer: Robert Kaufman
Range: Kona Cotton [Peapod]

LOW VOLUME FABRIC
Manufacturer: RJR - Cotton + Steel
Designer: Kimberly Knight
Range: Lucky Strikes - Score Card [Dark Plum]

I wasn't really sure what to use for the second block. I ended up deciding on these cute birds from Amy Butler's Soul Mate range because I thought they were cute, I liked the colour, they were easy to fussy cut aaaaand they fit in with my solid choice. There's a funny little story as to why I really wanted to use Kona Peapod in my second block. I had ordered some from Wendy and because I had ordered a range of colours she was nice enough to label the colour names on them for me. Sssssshhhh don't tell her I told you that. Anyway, I got to unpacking them and having a look at the delicious colours and having a look at the names on each one. Am I the only one that thinks this looks like it says Peapoo?? I mean what IS pea poo lol 

That combined with it being a really gorgeous green is why this second block was built around the solid.

Thanks for reading
TS 😘

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the beginning....

2017... Blocks 3 and 4 for Wendy